Jul 31, 2006
Important Notice to Sony VAIO Personal Computer Owners with Intel® Wireless LAN Device
Security vulnerabilities have been identified in the Intel® 2200BG and 2100 PRO/Wireless Network Connection Hardware. Sony is now investigating this issue and expediting the update program verification. Although Sony has not received any report from customers, as it involves a security issue, we would like to take it seriously and provide the up-to-date information and present countermeasures to remedy this issue.
Description of Symptom
For the Intel® 2200BG PRO/Wireless Network Connection Hardware:
Intel® Centrino Wireless Driver Malformed Frame Remote Code Execution (CS-023065)
- Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (ver.126.96.36.199～10.5)
- Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection (ver.188.8.131.52～10.5)
Security vulnerabilities exist in the Intel® 2200BG PRO/Wireless Network Connection Hardware, which could potentially be exploited by attackers within range of the Wi-Fi station to execute arbitrary code on the target system with kernel-level privileges. This symptom is due to a memory corruption while passing certain frames.
For the Intel® 2100 PRO/Wireless Network Connection Hardware:
Intel® Centrino Wireless Driver Malformed Frame Privilege Escalation(CS-023067)
- Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection (ver.184.108.40.206～220.127.116.11)
This symptom is due to a memory corruption while handling requests from higher-level protocol drivers or users-level applications.
* Intel® Announcement:
For further details:
Affected VAIO Model
VAIO Personal Computer released from 2003 1Q to 2006 3Q with Intel® Wireless LAN device built-in（Some of them are equipped with non-affected Wireless LAN Device）.
* VAIO with 2200BG driver:
PCG-TR5GP, VGN-A17GP, VGN-A19GP, VGN-S18GP, VGN-S16GP, VGN-T17GP/S, VGN-T17GP/T, VGN-T16GP/S, VGN-B55G, VGN-A29GP, VGN-S28GP, VGN-S26GP, VGN-T27GP/S, VGN-Y18GP, VGN-B66GP, VGN-A39GP, VGN-S36GP/S, VGN-S38GP/B, VGN-FS18GP, VGN-FS15GP, VGN-T37GP/S, VGN-B77GP, VGN-A49GP, VGN-S48GP/B, VGN-S46GP/S, VGN-FS28GP, VGN-FS25GP, VGN-TX17GP/B, VGN-TX17GP/W, VGN-TX17GP/B, VGN-TX17GP/W, VGN-TX16GP/W, VGN-A59GP, VGN-S58GP/B, VGN-S56GP/S, VGN-FJ58GP, VGN-FJ57GP, VGN-FJ57GP, VGN-BX168GP, VGN-FS38GP, VGN-FS38SP, VGN-FS35GP, VGN-TX27GP/B, VGN-TX27GP/T, VGN-TX27GP/W, VGN-A60GP, VGN-S67GP/S, VGN-FJ68GP/W, VGN-FJ68GP/W, VGN-FJ67GP/W, VGN-FS48GP, VGN-FJ78GP/B, VGN-FJ78GP/R, VGN-FJ78GP/W, VGN-FS93G
* VAIO with 2100 driver:
PCG-Z1GP, PCG-Z1RGP, PCG-TR1, PCG-Z1VGP, PCG-V505MP, PCG-TR2, PCG-Z1XGP, PCG-V505MNP, PCG-TR3
Note: Please check the version of driver in your PC first. Even in the same models, the versions may be different.
How to check the Wireless LAN device & the version of driver:
Please refer to the following procedure or please go to following URL:
1. Right click on the "My Computer" icon found on the desktop or Windows start menu.
2. Click on "Properties."
3. Click on the "Hardware" tab.
4. Click on "Device Manager."
5. Find "Network adapters" on the Device Manager screen.
6. Expand "Network adapters" by double clicking or clicking on the "+" symbol.
7. Double click the wireless adapter listed under Network adapters.
8. Click on the "Driver" tab.
Sony is urgently verifying the update programs, but the completion of verification may take a while.
Please note that the update programs remedy the security vulnerability issue, but it may affect some parts of the following VAIO pre-installed utility programs.
- Wireless LAN starter
- Wireless Switching Utility
Link To VAIO Update Programs
- For Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection built-in VAIO Personal Computer:
Wireless LAN Driver 18.104.22.168
- For Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection built-in VAIO Personal Computer:
Wireless LAN Driver 10.5.1.57a
* This announcement is intended to provide the up-to-date information on security matters in an immediate manner.
Please note that the information above is based on current findings and report, and is subject to change in future.
Sony Corporation of Hong Kong Limited