To reduce the volume of the dialing tone:
1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Printers and Other Hardware and click Phone and Modem Options.
3. Click the Modems tab and the list of installed modems appears.
4. Select the appropriate modem and then click Properties.
5. Click the Modem tab and move the slider to adjust the speaker volume.
6. Click OK twice.
To turn off the modem sound:
1. Click Start and then click My Network Places.
2. Click View network connections. Right-click the appropriate dial-up icon and then click Properties.
3. Click the General tab. Click the appropriate modem and then click Configure.
4. Disable the Enable modem speaker option and click OK.
5. Click OK again.