Can the VAIO computer communicate directly with another computer without using an access point or central controller?
Communicating directly with another computer without using an access point or central controller.
Please refer to the following steps to set up the VAIO computer to communicate with another computer directly without using an access point or a central controller.
1. Turn on the Wireless LAN switch and double-click the network icon on the taskbar displaying Wireless Network Connection.
2. Click Change advanced settings and click Wireless Networks.
3. Click Add and enter a Network name (SSID).
4. Select Open at Network Authentication and select WEP at Data encrryption.
5. Disable The key is provided for me automatically and enter a Network Key.
6. Enter the same Network Key at Confirm network key, select This is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are not used and click OK.
7. Click Advance and select Computer-to-computer (ad hoc) networks only.
8. Click Close and click OK.
Now the VAIO computer is ready to communicate with another computer. If the VAIO computer needs to communicate between two or more computers, the same Network name and the same Network key of all the computers need to be configured in the same way.
- The Network key should be 5 or 13 alphanumeric characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal character long.
- An ad-hoc network does not support WPA.