Why can't I use the folder compression function of Windows Me normally?
When I double-click a compressed file or folder, the system displays the [Open with] dialog box which allows me to select the program to be used for the display and decompression of files and folders. Why is that so?
The association between an application and a file to be used for a compressed file and folder is the shared resource in the registries of Windows Me. Uninstalling WinZip deletes the shared resource from the registry, which sometimes results in the loss of association between the application and the file.
When this symptom occurs, you need to re-install the folder compression function of Windows Me according to the procedure below:
1. Click [Start] -> [Setting] -> [Control Panel] and double-click [Add/Remove Programs].
2. Click the [Windows Setup] tab.
3. Click [System Tool and click the [Details] button.
4. Uncheck the [Compressed Folders] box and click [OK]. Click the [OK button on the [Add/Remove Programs] window.
5. When the message prompting you to re-start the computer appears, click [Yes].
6. Repeat the steps 1-3.
7. Check the [Compressed Folders] box and click [OK]. Click the [OK button on the [Add/Remove Programs] window.
8. When the message prompting you to re-start the computer appears, click [Yes].
You can use the compression function after the computer is re-started.
Refer to the following technical support information of Microsoft.
Article ID: Q258575
Last Reviewed: September 25, 2000
Title: Uninstalling WinZip Removes Compressed Folders Functionality in Windows Millennium Edition.