How to troubleshoot a portable player that is not functioning properly or does not turn on or off?
Troubleshooting player that is not functioning properly or does not turn on or off.
- The portable player does not turn on.
- The portable player does not turn off.
- The portable player turns on, and then turns off immediately.
- The display on the portable player is blank.
- The portable player appears to be frozen with Every Moment Has its Music on the display.
Check the following :
Note: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the unit after completing each step.
- The remaining battery power is insufficient. Charge the battery by connecting the player to a running computer.
Note: Confirm that the portable player is connected to a working USB port and that it is charging. If necessary, connect it to a different port. When connected properly, the battery icon will be animated or it will indicate the charge status such as FULL when charging is completed. If the life span of your battery is up, you may need to change the battery. Consult your nearest sony dealer for changing of battery.
- If you charge the battery and nothing changes, press the RESET button with a small pin or similar object.
Note: When the RESET button is pressed, the unit will retain the music data and clock settings but other stored data and settings may be deleted. If the unit starts up after the reset, access the Settings menu and initialize(Format) the unit.
- If there was no change after the player was reset, connect it to a running computer and reset it again, leaving it connected.
- Make sure that you are pressing the POWER button to turn the player on. Previous Walkman® models that did not have a power button would turn on by pressing any button. Some models must have the power button pressed to turn it on.
- Ensure that the HOLD function is not activated.
Note: For some models, when using the portable player for the first time, if the player is not used for a long time, or the battery is depleted, it may take up to 5 minutes for it to be recognized or start charging. For models with display, the display will remain blank before being recognized. If the portable player is not recognized or does not begin to charge after 5 minutes, continue with the procedure to reset the unit.
- Check the Sony Support Web site to see if there are any available firmware updates for your model. Some models requires firmware update and initialising(Format) it to function properly. Firmware and Updates can be found on the Sony Support Web Site.
Note: If the player is not being recognized by the computer, there are additional troubleshooting steps you should follow. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. The additional troubleshooting steps can be found on the link below.
Additional troubleshooting steps
If the approaches listed above fail to resolve the issue, consult your nearest Sony dealer.