For the methods of connecting to an access point of another vendor and also changing the connection settings, refer to the following.
Be sure to check through the following Points to be checked before connecting to an access point of another vendor contents before any wireless connection.
A. How to check the Wi-Fi certification
1. Click here to view the Wi-Fi Alliance.
2. Click on Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products, select the vendor name and choose the product category.
3. Click Submit and the list of the Wi-Fi certified products will be displayed.
B. Points to be checked before connecting to an access point of another vendor
1. Items to be set on the VAIO computer
Make settings for Network name (SSLD) and Key Length.
* To check Key Length, refer to the following (3) [Check key length of the access point].
If you do not know Key Length, refer to the instruction manual supplied with the access point or check it with the administrator of the access point.
An IP address is obtained automatically or manually depends on the functions and settings of the connecting access point or router.
2. Check the wireless channel that the access point uses.
The channels which the 2.4GHz wireless LAN products of VAIO computers vary depending on models. Usually, they are from 1 to 11 or 1 to 14.
When the 2.4GHz wireless LAN product of your VAIO computer uses a channel between 1 and 11, it is not possible to connect it to the access point that communicates through 12, 13 or 14 channels.
For the method of changing the channel, refer to the instruction manual of your access point or check it with the vendor of your access point.
3. Check the key length of the access point.
The usable key length varies depending on access points.
Check the specifications of the built-in wireless LAN, and set to the key length corresponding to that of the access point.
The key length of 2.4GHz wireless LAN products (except access points) of VAIO computers is as follows.
The list of corresponding key length:
Built-in wireless LAN models
Supplied wireless LAN cards
* The available key length is 40 bits.
* The available key length is 104 bits.