Recovery Console is designed to support the recovery of the VAIO computer when the operating system does not start properly or is having difficulties.
Users are allowed to perform the following without using the user graphic interface.
- Creating and formatting of a drive.
- Reading, writing and modification of data on a local drive of any file system (NTFS, FAT and FAT32).
- Enable or disable any startup services and devices at the next restart.
- Recovery of the boot sector or Master Boot Record (MBR) of the file system.
This function is meant for advanced users to troubleshoot any computer problem. Only users with administrator's right are allowed to perform the Recovery Console.
Follow the steps below to start Recovery Console:
1. At the Sony logo, press and hold F8 for a second.
2. Select Windows advanced Options Menu and press Enter.
3. When the Which Windows installation would you like to log on to? message appears, type 1 and press Enter.
4. Type in the correct administrator's password and Recovery Console will begin.
For more information, please refer to the following solution in Microsoft's technical support website.
Article ID: Q314058
Title: Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console.