IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
Note: Xperia 1 IV, Xperia 10 IV, Xperia 5 IV, Xperia 1 V, Xperia 10 V and Xperia 5 V do not support data transfer with Xperia Transfer 2. Please transfer the data using Google Cloud services.
Note: You need to download and install the "Xperia Transfer 2" application from Google Play on Xperia 1 II or Xperia 10 II or Xperia PRO or Xperia 1 III or Xperia 10 III or Xperia 5 III or Xperia PRO-I.
On June 30th 2023, the Xperia Transfer 2 service will stop, and the app will no longer be available for download via the Google Play Store.
The reason is that the Android Operating System itself can transfer data from older models when setting up your new Xperia smartphone, and the service has become redundant.
We recommend you update your phone to the latest available Android OS version (for that phone) to make use of the Android OS data transfer.
We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your kind understanding and cooperation.
"Xperia Transfer 2" application is to transfer the data and content from your old smartphone (iPhone / Android) to your new Xperia.
The Xperia Transfer 2 app is not compatible with our older application of “Xperia Transfer Mobile” at all. Even if your old Xperia phone might have an “Xperia Transfer Mobile” app, you need to download “Xperia Transfer 2” app and install it in your old Xperia phone*2
Note! *2: The Android version needs to be Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or higher.
- “Xperia Transfer 2” cannot transfer the data in the applications, such as point-data in the game apps. Depending on the apps or services, you may be able to take over your account by re-registering on your new Xperia. For more information, please contact the developer's support of each app and service.
- Please do not add, revise or delete any data during data transfer is on.
- Please make sure the batteries have more than 50% charge on both your smartphones before you start the data transfer.
Transferring data from old Xperia / Android phone
- Your old Xperia / Android phone should be Android 6.0 or higher.
- You can transfer the data in your old Xperia / Android phone. You can’t transfer the data and contents restored in the SD memory card or in the cloud services by “Xperia Transfer 2”.
- Depending on the model of your old phone, you may not be able to transfer some data due to the structure or restrictions of the applications.
- Please update the “Xperia Transfer 2” app in your new Xperia to the latest version from Google Play.
- To transfer the data of Message, you need to temporarily set the “Xperia Transfer 2” as the default SMS application on your new Xperia before you start transferring.
To temporarily set the “Xperia Transfer 2” as the default SMS application on your new Xperia.
- Find and tap Settings > Apps & notifications > Default apps> SMS app
- Set “Xperia Transfer 2” as the default SMS application.
After transferring the data, you can set your favourite messaging app as a default one by following the instructions on “Xperia Transfer 2”. If you can’t confirm the message data on your new Xperia even after transfer, please select your favourite messaging app again in the settings of “Apps & notifications”.
Transferring by cable connection
- Even transferring by cable, it needs a Bluetooth connection to manage the data transfer. Please set up the Bluetooth by following the instructions on the screen.
- If you use the USB converting adapter from type-A to Type-C plug, please connect it to your new Xperia phone.
Transferring by wireless connection
- Please confirm whether the Wi-Fi is enabled on both your old phone and your new Xperia phone.
- You need to enable the location to use the Wi-Fi Direct function on your Android 9 (Pie) or later smartphone.