1) When you use the computer, "Temporary Files" and "Temporary Internet Files" increase and the space of hard disk drive decreases sometimes.
In that case, execute Disk Cleanup to delete them.
2) The restore point of the system is created on a regular basis, which may decrease the hard disk space on a regular basis.
The "restore point" will be created in the following cases.
(Conditions of the automatic creation of restoring point)
The automatic system checkpoint is created every 10 hours when the computer continues to operate and when the computer is left idle for a few minutes.
When these conditions are not met, it is created when the computer is turned on for the first time after the elapse of 24 real hours and is left idle for a few minutes.
* The restore point can be created manually using the interface of the system restore.
The data file (data store) of the restore point is saved in [C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE] as [KG******.CAB], but you cannot delete it.
To display the data file, execute the following procedure.
1) Double-click the [My Computer] icon on the desktop.
2) Click [Folder Options] on the [Tools] menu.
3) Click the [View] tab, turn on the checkbox of [Show hidden files and folders] and uncheck the [Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)] box.
4) Click the [OK] button to close the dialog box.
* Even if you try to delete the data file of the restore point, you cannot delete it only to see an error message.
For more information, please refer to the following solution in the Microsoft technical support website.
Article ID: Q267951
Last Reviewed: October 22, 2000
Title: Description of the System Restore Utility in Windows