Depending on the status of the user in which the password is forgotten, please refer to the following:
A. When a user with administrator privilege (user who belongs to Administrators) has been created in addition to the user who forgot the password
To resolve the symptom, please change the password as a different user with administrator privilege with reference to the following procedure.
1) Log on to the system as another user with administrator privilege.
2) Click [Start], point to [Settings], and then click [Control Panel]. Then double-click the [Users and Passwords] icon.
3) Click the user whose password you want to change in the [User for this computer] box.
* You can change the password of the user which you have used to log on to the system by clicking the [Change Password] button on the [Windows Security] dialog box.
The [Windows Security] dialog box is displayed by pressing the [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] keys simultaneously.
4) Click the [Set Password] button to display the [Set Password] dialog box.
5) Make sure that you type the same password in both the [New Password] and [Confirm New Password] text boxes. Alternatively, both text boxes may remain blank.
* Note: Password is case-sensitive.
6) Click [OK].
7) To close the [Users and Password] dialog box, click [OK].
8) Close the displayed window.
9) Log off the system or restart it, and log on to it as the user whose password you have forgotten.
B. When there are not any other users with administrator privilege (users who belong to Administrators)
When there are not any other users with administrator privilege, there is no other way than to restore the system to its default state by using the Recovery CD-ROM supplied with your VAIO computer. Please make sure that you do not forget the passwords of the Administrators and the user with administrator privilege (user who belongs to Administrators).
When you initialize the hard disk with the Recovery CD-ROM, all files stored onto the hard disk will be erased. Even if you do not initialize it, there is no guarantee that the files on the disk are safely stored. Please make sure tht you back up your important files on floppy disks, for example, before you reset the system.
For further details, please refer to the section "To reset the system with Recovery CD" in the Users Guide.
To change the user authority settings, please refer to the following solution
Title: How do I change the user authority (access permission) on Windows 2000?
Keywords: Win2k, access level,