Why are there white or black trails, or the after images of a screen saver remaining on the screen? This symptom, however, does not always occur.
In addition, the following symptoms take place:
- The trace of the mouse remains on the screen sometimes when I move it in Free Cell.
- White lines appear in some cases.
- The after image of an icon remains on the screen when I move it.
- The after image of a card remains on the screen when I move it in Solitaire.
- White lines appear when I execute defragmentation.
- The dotted square which appears when I drag and drop something on the desktop remains on the screen.
This is a symptom common to the computers with Windows. It occurs when a machine does not have a memory large enough to render images on the screen or to process rendering (when the machine cannot catch up with rendering processes).
You may try out the following solutions to avoid the symptom.
1) Pressing the [F5] key refreshes the contents of a window.
Select the window with after images and press the [F5] key.
* Some applications assign other functions to the [F5] key.
2) To refresh the desktop, click on the desktop first and press the [F5] key.
3) Right-click on an open area and select [Refresh] from the displayed menu.
* In the case of a machine equipped with Internet Explorer 4.01J or later versions, double-click the [Show Desktop] button on the task bar and you can refresh the entire screen.
4) In the case of [Afterimage] of a screen saver, exit the screen saver to the desktop and the afterimage will disappear.
5) If a dotted square at the time of dragging an item to the desktop appears, set the active desktop to [Off] and the symptom can be avoided.