To enable/disable the firewall functions of Internet connection on Windows® XP, please follow the steps below.
* For Windows® XP and Windows® XP Service Pack1.
1. Go to Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections and click Network Connections.
2. Right-click the connection icon and click Properties.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4i. To enable the firewall functions, select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet option. When part of the programs and services are required to be used through the firewall, click Settings and specify the programs, protocols and services.
4ii. To disable the firewall functions, deselect the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet option and click OK.
* For Windows XP Service Pack 2.
1. Click Start and click Control Panel.
2. Click Security Center.
3. When the window of Windows Security Center appears, click Windows Firewall.
4. When the Windows Firewall dialog box appears, click General to set the functions.
- To enable the firewall function
Click the On (recommended) option button.
- To disable the firewall function
Click the Off (not recommended) option button.
For further information, please refer to the following solution in the Microsoft technical support website.
Article ID: Q283673
Last Reviewed: November 15, 2001
Title: Enable the Internet Connection Firewall Feature in Windows® XP.