Full Specifications & Features
- Sensor Type
- 1.0-type (13.2mm x 8.8mm) Exmor RS CMOS sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Number of Pixels (Effective)
- Approx. 20.1 Megapixels
- Number of Pixels (total)
- Approx. 21.0 Megapixels
- Lens type
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* Lens, 18 elements in 13 groups (6 aspheric elements including AA lens)
- ND Filter
- Focal length
- ANGLE OF VIEW (35MM FORMAT EQUIVALENT)
- 84deg.-4deg.10min. (24-600mm)
- Focus Range (From the Front of the Lens)
- AF (W: Approx. 3cm (0.10 ft.) to infinity, T: Approx.72cm (2.36 ft.) to infinity, f=250mm (35mm format equivalent): Approx. 140cm (4.59ft.) to infinity), Focus range from the image sensor: AF (W: Approx. 18cm (0.59 ft.) to infinity, T: Approx. 92cm (3.02 ft.) to infinity, f=250mm (35mm format equivalent): Approx. 157cm (5.16ft.) to infinity)
- Optical Zoom
- 25x(Optical Zoom during movie recording)
- Clear Image Zoom (Still Image)
- 20M Approx. 50x / 10M Approx. 70x / 5M Approx. 100x / VGA Approx. 380x
- Clear Image Zoom (Movie)
- 4K: Approx. 37.5x;HD: Approx. 50x
- Digital Zoom (Still Image)
- 20M Approx.100x / 10M Approx.140x / 5M Approx.200x / VGA Approx.380x
- Digital Zoom (Movie)
- Digital Zoom Approx.100x
- Filter Diameter
- Screen Type
- 7.5cm(3.0type)(4:3) / 1,440,000 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Adjustable Angle
- Up by approx. 109degrees, down by approx. 41degrees
- Display Panel (On Top)
- Display Selector (Finder/Lcd)
- MF Assist Magnification
- Screen Type/Number of Dots
- 0.39-type electronic viewfinder(XGA OLED), 2,359,296dots
- Field Coverage
- Approx. 0.70x with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1(diopter) (35mm equiv.)
- Eye Point
- Approx.23mm from the eyepiece, 21.5mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1(diopter) (CIPA standard)
- Dioptre Adjustment
- -4.0 to +3.0m-1
- Brightness Control
- Manual(5 steps) / Sunny Weather
- Image Processing Engine
- Yes (BIONZ X)
- STEADYSHOT (STILL IMAGE)
- Optical;Yes (Intelligent Active Mode, Optical type with electronic compensation, Anti Rolling type)
- Focus Type
- Fast Hybrid AF(phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Mode
- Single-shot AF;Automatic AF;Continuous AF;DMF;Manual Focus
- Focus Area
- Wide (315 points (phase-detection AF), 25 points(contrast-detection AF));Center;Flexible Spot (S/M/L);Expanded Flexible Spot;Lock on AF(Wide/Center/Flexible Spot(S/M/L)/Expanded Flexible Spot)
- LOCK ON AF
- Light Metering Mode
- Multi Pattern;Center Weighted;Spot(Standard/Large);Entire Screen Avg;Highlight
- Exposure Compensation
- +/- 3.0EV, 1/3EV step
- ISO Sensitivity (Still Image)(Recommended Exposure Index)
- Auto(ISO100-12800, selectable with upper / lower limit),100/125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800 (Extendable to ISO64/80),Multi-Frame NR:Auto(ISO100-12800),100/ 200/400/800/1600/3200/6400/12800/25600
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie)
- Auto:(ISO100Level-ISO12800Level, selectable with upper / lower limit), 100/125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800
- Minimum Illumination (Movie)
- Auto:2.4lux(Shutter Speed 1/30")
- White Balance Modes
- Auto;Daylight;Shade;Cloudy;Incandescent;Fluor.: Warm White;Fluor.: Cool White;Fluor.: Day White;Fluor.: Daylight;Flash;C.Temp./Filter;Custom
- WB Micro Adjustment
G7 to M7,57-step A7 to B7,29-step
- Shutter Speed
- iAuto(4"-1/2000*) / Program Auto(30"-1/2000*) / Manual Exposure(Bulb, 30"-1/2000*) / Aperture Priority(30"-1/2000*) / Shutter Priority(30"-1/2000*);*At F8 or greater aperture value. Fastest limit at F2.4 is 1/1000.
- Electronic Shutter
- iAuto(4"-1/32000) / Program Auto(30"-1/32000.) / Manual Exposure(30"-1/32000.) / Aperture Priority(30"-1/32000) / Shutter Priority(30"-1/32000)
- iAuto(F2.4/F11) / Program Auto(F2.4/F16) / Manual(F2.4/F16) / Shutter Priority(F2.4/F11) / Aperture Priority(F2.4/F16)
- Image Control
- Contrast;Saturation;Sharpness;Creative Style;Color Space(sRGB / Adobe RGB);Quality(RAW / RAW&JPEG / Extra fine / Fine / Standard)
- Noise Reduction
- Long exposure NR:On/Off, available of shutter speeds longer than 1/3 sec.;High ISO NR:Normal/Low/Off;Multi Frame NR: Auto, ISO100-25600
- Dynamic Range Functions
- Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level 1-5), Auto High Dynamic Range(Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1.0-6.0EV, 1.0EV step))
- Shooting Mode
- AUTO(Intelligent Auto/Superior Auto);Program Auto;Aperture Priority;Shutter Speed Priority;Manual Exposure;MR(Memory Recall) [body 3 sets / memory card 4 sets];Movie Mode(Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure);HFR Mode(Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure);Panorama;Scene Selection
- Scene Selection
- Portrait;Sports Action;Macro;Landscape;Sunset;Night Scene;Handheld Twilight;Night Portrait;Anti Motion Blur
- Continuous Shooting Speed (maximum) (with max. recording pixels)
- Continuous Shooting Hi: approx. 24 fps, Continuous Shooting Mid: approx. 10 fps, Continuous Shooting Low: approx. 3.5 fps
- 10sec. / 5sec. / 2sec. / 3 or 5 consecutive shots with 10sec. 5sec. or 2sec. delay selectable / Bracketing shots with 10sec. 5sec. or 2sec. delay selectable
- Drive Modes
- Single;Continuous shooting(Hi/Mid/Lo);Self-timer;Self-timer(cont.);Cont.-bracketing;Single-bracketing;White balance bracketing;DRO bracketing
- Panorama (Shooting)
- Sweep Panorama
- Picture Effect
- Still Image:Toy camera;Pop Color;Posterization;Retro Photo;Soft High-key;Partial Color;High Contrast Mono.;Soft Focus;HDR Painting;Richtone Monochrome;Miniature;Watercolor;Illustration;Movie:Toy camera;Pop Color;Posterization;Retro Photo;Soft High-key;Partial Color;High Contrast Mono.
- Creative Style
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box
- Picture Profile
- off/PP1-PP9(Black Level, Gamma(Movie, Still, Cine1-2, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-Log3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset)
- Number of Recognised Scenes
- Still Image:Superior Auto: 44 / iAuto: 33;44
- Built-in Flash Mode
- Built-in, manual pop-up
- Flash Type
- Auto / Flash On / Slow Synchro / Rear Sync. / Flash Off /;Wireless(with optional compatible flash)
- AF Illuminator
- Auto / Off
- External Flash Mode
- Sony α System Flash compatible with Multi Interface Shoe, attach the optional shoe adaptor for flash compatible with Auto-lock accessory shoe
- Flash Range
- ISO Auto: Approx.1.0m to 10.8m (3.28 ft. to 35.43 ft.) (W) / Approx. 1.0m to 6.5m (3.28 ft. to 21.33 ft.) (T), ISO12800: up to Approx. 20.8m (68.24 ft.) (W) / Approx. 12.8m (41.99 ft.) (T)
- Compatible Recording Media
- Memory Stick Duo;Memory Stick PRO Duo;Memory Stick PRO Duo(High Speed);Memory Stick PROHG Duo;Memory Stick Micro;Memory Stick Micro (Mark2);SD Memory Card;SDHC Memory Card(UHS-I);SDXC Memory Card(UHS-I);microSD Memory Card;microSDHC Memory Card;microSDXC Memory Card
- Recording Format
- Still Image:JPEG(DCF Ver.2.0,Exif Ver.2.31,MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format);XAVC S;AVCHD format Ver.2.0 compatible
- Recording Format (Movie Audio)
- XAVC S:LPCM 2ch;AVCHD:Dolby Digital(AC-3) 2ch(Dolby Digital Stereo Creator)
- Colour Space (Still)
- sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size)
- Still Image:3:2mode:20M(5,472×3,648) / 10M(3,888×2,592) / 5M(2,736×1,824),4:3mode:18M(4,864×3,648) / 10M(3,648×2,736) / 5M(2,592×1,944) / VGA,16:9mode:17M(5,472×3,080) / 7.5M(3,648×2,056) / 4.2M(2,720×1,528),1:1mode:13M(3,648×3,648) / 6.5M(2,544×2,544) / 3.7M(1,920×1;16:9mode:17M(5,472×3,080) / 7.5M(3,648×2,056) / 4.2M(2,720×1,528)
Recording NTSC/PAL Selector: [PAL] mode XAVC S HD:50p 50M(1,920x1,080/250fps), 50p 50M(1,920x1,080/500fps), 50p 50M(1,920x1,080/1000fps) / 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/250fps), 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/500fps), 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/1000fps), NTSC/PAL Selector: [NTSC] mode XAVC S HD:60p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 60p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 60p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) / 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) / 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) Sensor Readout Number of effective pixels Quality Priority:240fps/250fps(1,824x1,026),480fps/500fps(1,824x616),960fps/1000fps(1,244x420)/Shoot Time Priority:240fps/250fps(1,824x616),480fps/500fps(1,292x436),960fps/1000fps(912x308)
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size) during Movie
- 16:9mode:17M(5,472×3,080) / 7.5M(3,648×2,056) / 4.2M(2,720×1,528)
- Proxy Recording
- Input and Output Terminals
- Multi/Micro USB Terminal, Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0), Micro HDMI,Microphone(3.5 mm Stereo minijack), Multi Interface Shoe, Headphones
- NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Yes(IEEE802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band))
- Yes (Bluetooth Standard Ver. 4.1 (2.4GHz band))
- Power Source
- DC7.2V(supplied battely) / DC5.0V(supplied AC Adoptor)
- Battery System
- Rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50
- Power Consumption (Camera Mode)
- Approx. 2.2W with LCD monitor and approx. 2.4W with viewfinder
- USB Charge/USB Power Supply
- Yes (Shooting, Playback)
- BATTERY LIFE(STILL IMAGES)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 400 / Approx. 200min., ViewFinder:Approx. 370 / Approx. 185min.
- BATTERY LIFE(MOVIES ACTUAL SHOOTING)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 75min., ViewFinder:Approx. 75min.
- BATTERY LIFE(MOVIES CONTINUOUS SHOOTING)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 135min., ViewFinder:Approx. 135min.
- Playmemories Camera Apps
- Shooting Functions
- Eye AF;Face Detection;Face Registration;Still Image Recording (during movie recording);Smile shutter;Grid Line;Quick Navi;Digital Level Gauge (pitch and roll);WB Bracket;DRO Bracketing;MF Assist;Peaking;Zebra;Marker Display;Audio Level Display;Audio Out Timing;Step Zoom/Quick Zoom;TC/UB;Photographer Name & Copyright;ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed;PC Remote Controll;Zoom Assist;Focus Hold;Gamma Disp. Assist;[Mov]AF Track Sensitivity;[Mov]AF Drive Speed;Set File Name;Focus Range Limiter
- Playback Modes
- BRAVIA Sync(Control for HDMI);9/25-frame index view;Auto Orientation;Slide Show;Forward/Rewind (Movie);Delete;Protect;Motion Shot Video;Photo Capture;Automatic Image Rotation;Cont Shoot Grouping
- TRILUMINOS Color
- 4K image output
- Operating Temprature
- 0 degrees C. - +40 degrees C. / 32 degrees F. - 104 degrees F.
- Exif Print;PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
Size & Weight
- DIMENSIONS (W X H X D) (APPROX.)
- 132.5 x 94.0 x 145.0mm(5 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 5 3/4 in.) 132.5 x 94.0 x 127.4mm(5 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 5 1/8 in.) (from front of lens to monitor)
- WEIGHT (CIPA COMPLIANT)
- Approx. 1095g (2lb 6.7oz.)(Battery and SDXC Card are included) / Approx. 1050g (2lb 5.1oz.)(Body Only)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-FW50
- AC AdaptorAC-UUD12
- Micro USB cable
- Shoulder strap
- Lens cap
- Shoe cap
- Lens hood
- Eyepiece Cup
- Instruction Manual
24-600mm F2.4-4 large-aperture optical zoom lens
This 25x optical zoom lens features remarkable 24-600mm extra-wide-angle-to-ultra-telephoto range plus macro capability, AA (advanced aspherical) and ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements, ZEISS® T* Coating, and large F2.4-4 aperture. These help the camera to provide high optical performance for high resolution and beautiful bokeh.
Exmor RS™ CMOS sensor for speed
315-point focal-plane phase-detection AF provides for extraordinarily fast, precise autofocusing and tracking. Furthermore, the 20.1 MP (effective) 1.0-type stacked CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip enables up to 960 fps super-slow-motion shooting and up to 1/32000 sec. super-high-speed anti-distortion shutter.
High-speed BIONZ X image processing engine
Achieving higher-speed processing performance than its predecessor, the new BIONZ X image processing engine is remarkably reliable at capturing fast-moving subjects and continuous shooting of up to 24fps. Its newly developed image-processing algorithm lets you capture high-quality images with less noise all across the sensitivity range while maintaining natural details.
Fast Hybrid AF moves farther ahead
For its RX10 series camera debut, Fast Hybrid AF is capable of lightning-fast 0.03-sec autofocusing response. This groundbreaking AF system seamlessly integrates the superlative speed and tracking of focal-plane phase-detection AF plus the high accuracy of contrast-detection AF, and boosts the camera’s capabilities to focus, track and capture sharp, clear still images of subjects in all situations, even in the middle of fast, dynamic action.
Wide high-density 315-AF-point coverage
The world’s most focal-plane phase-detection AF points (315) cover approx. 65% of the entire image area of the RX10 IV’s new image sensor. This makes AF coverage widespread and dense enough to quickly capture subjects, such as small or fast-moving ones that are otherwise difficult to focus on, throughout the image area.  Phase-detection AF coverage (315 points)  Contrast-detection AF coverage (25 points)
High-density Tracking AF Technology
Tracking performance is highly reliable, as the RX10 IV is the first Cyber-shot camera with High-density Tracking AF Technology that activates AF points to cover the area around a subject with outstanding precision and stability.  AF points that appear on actual screen  AF algorithm (not shown on actual screen)
Easy, natural Touch Pad and Touch Focus
With Touch Pad function, you can shift focus simply by sliding your finger across the LCD screen from one area to another, while you look at the viewfinder. Whether you make the shift according to finger motion distance (relative position) or the area of the frame that you touch on the screen (absolute position), shifting is smooth and easy. For Touch Focus, simply touch the LCD at the point of the image that you want to focus on.
Real-time Eye AF
Real-time Eye AF can capture intriguing facial expressions with highly precise eye detection that has been enhanced to automatically focus and track focus on a subject’s eye, even as the face moves or turns to a 3/4 view. This capability extends your freedom to frame a great shot.
AF streamlines focus operation
Faster autofocusing relies on smart functions including Focus Range Limiter which allows you to restrict focus to subjects that are 3m or farther away; AF-ON setting which lets you trip the shutter without the lengthier half-press focus sequence; and AF-A mode which automatically switches between AF-S (Single AF) and AF-C (Continuous AF) modes, according to changes in subject motion.
Recall Custom Setting during Hold
Memorised exposure settings (shutter speed, aperture, AF area, etc.) can be assigned to custom buttons for temporary recall while the button is held. For example, if you shoot sports in a stadium, you might want to quickly capture a shot of the scoreboard, requiring a temporary change in exposure, and then go back to the action.
Focus Area Registration
Customise a button by assigning it to a frequently used focus area setting, then instantly recall that setting whenever you like. This can be handy if an ideal focus point frequently changes, for example, between strokes in a tennis match. Focus point as well as focus area can be set as desired for optimal focus performance for the scene being photographed.
Continuous shooting capability expanded
The powerful combination of the Exmor RS 1.0-type image sensor and the BIONZ X image processing engine enables continuous shooting with AF/AE tracking at up to approx. 24fps for up to 249 frames at a time. Decisive moments of even fast-moving action can assuredly be captured as a result.
Silent shooting for sensitive situations
At performances, when close to wildlife, and in other noise-sensitive situations, you can shoot in silence, even during continuous shooting, by muting the camera’s shutter sound with a couple of simple settings ("Shutter type: Electronic" and "Audio signals: Off").
Anti-distortion shutter for fast-moving subjects
Fast data readout from the Exmor RS image sensor noticeably reduces distortion in images of fast-moving subjects such as the kicking of a ball. The anti-distortion electronic shutter achieves shutter speeds as fast as 1/32000 second.  Conventional electronic shutter RX10 IV electronic shutter
Shooting movies with Fast Hybrid AF
When shooting movies, this advanced two-times-faster AF system makes focusing smoother and simpler, and enables the same wide-ranging use of phase-detection AF as when shooting still images. Drive speed / AF tracking settings can be made to express focus in creative ways. For example, by shooting at the low end of the AF speed range, you can achieve distinctive slow focus effects.
4K movie recording / XAVC S format
The RX10 IV can condense about 1.7 times as much data as is required for 4K output into 4K movie recordings. Full pixel readout and no pixel binning reduces moiré and jaggies. A front-end LSI lessens rolling shutter effect of fast movement. Support of the XAVC S format lets you record high-quality 4K and Full HD movies with minimal compression noise at maximum 100Mbps and 50Mbps rates.
Proxy data recording for easier, faster editing and sharing
While recording full-resolution 4K video, the RX10 IV can also capture a low-bitrate proxy file that makes editing faster, easier, and more efficient, particularly when using under-powered computers. The proxy file also enables easier sharing of the file and online collaboration.
Professional-style movie functions
Picture Profile, S-Gamut/S-Log2/S-Log3, Gamma Display Assist, Zebra, HDMI Clearout, TC/UB, Rec Control, and Marker provided are compatible with movie functions found on pro equipment.
Super slow motion up to 40x slower than natural motion
The stacked CMOS sensor enables shooting at an extra-high frame rate up to 960fps (40x slower than natural motion) for extended maximum durations (up to 4 seconds in Quality Priority mode and up to 7 seconds in Shoot Time Priority mode) all the way up to ultra-telephoto range. As a result, you can capture exceptionally clear, smooth close-ups of faraway action in super slow motion detail.
This optical image stabilisation technology developed by Sony is valuable for handheld still and movie shooting, especially in low light or at the ultra-telephoto end of the zoom range up to 600mm. This system is effectively equivalent to a 4.5-stop-faster shutter speed, and prevents camera blur to ensure visibly smoother, more stable results.  SteadyShot OFF  SteadyShot ON
Convenient tiltable LCD and top display panel
For clearer viewing and focusing, the built-in LCD monitor’s 1440K-dot resolution surpasses that of the predecessor of the RX10 IV. Furthermore, this screen tilts up to approximately 109° upward and 41° downward, making shots even easier to monitor from various positions while recording. When you use a viewfinder in other shooting situations, a display panel on top of the camera makes it easy to check key settings at a glance without moving the camera.
When you lose track of a moving subject while framing (which often occurs in ultra-telephoto shooting), press and hold down the C (custom) button to which Zoom Assist is assigned to trigger Zoom Assist function’s automatic zoom-out. Find and frame up the subject again, then release the button, and the camera automatically zooms back in to the original focal length, so you can resume shooting the subject. (Captions in the image- left: Find and re-frame subject, right: Successfully re-framed)
High resistance to dust and moisture
Dust-resistant, moisture-resistant sealant and construction of operating parts allow the camera to withstand rigorous shooting of outdoor nature, sports and wildlife in rugged environments under rainy, dusty, humid, and other difficult conditions.
Capture stills from movies
You can select a decisive moment from a movie recording and save it as a picture, in the form of a highly detailed 8-megapixel still image file from a 4K movie. From Full HD footage, you can create a 2-megapixel still image file.
Enhanced peaking function
The accuracy of the peaking function, which emphasises contours of the focused region in a specified colour when shooting in manual focus or direct manual focus, has been improved to make intricate focusing during macro shooting, etc. even easier.
My Menu your way
With My Menu, you can register menu items for instant recall and customise menus. You can also make button assignments for up to 30 functions to retool the camera interface for your shooting preferences.
Location Information Link via Bluetooth
Location Information Link makes the most of RX10 IV capabilities. The camera can be paired with Imaging Edge Mobile app installed on a compatible mobile phone or tablet device to acquire location data, record it on still images, and correct camera date/time and location settings.
Remote Camera Control
Download and install a Remote Camera Control application on a computer in order to change camera settings, shoot images, and otherwise operate the camera from the computer via USB connection of the camera to the computer.The image data recorded on the camera will be stored directly.
One-touch remote/ One-touch sharing
One-touch remote makes your smartphone or tablet a viewfinder/remote control. One-touch sharing transfers photos/videos to your device for SNS sharing. Just install Imaging Edge Mobile app via Wi-Fi to your NFC-enabled Android device, then touch the device to the camera to connect them. No NFC? No problem, as new QR code compatibility can also pair the devices.
Capture One (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is a free award-winning image editing software that provides high-end image quality RAW development, easy management of your image files, and powerful editing tools. Capture One Pro (for Sony) can be bought for even more editing tools and tethered shooting capability.
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
Imaging Edge™ Remote, Viewer, and Edit
Elevate your photography with Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use "Remote" to remotely control shooting; "Viewer" to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and "Edit" to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.