To setup, please refer to the procedure mentioned below [for the Infrared Connection (COM4)].
Note that the following steps are the basics and the setting may vary depending on your environment.
A) Environment: The setting has not been done.
- COM ports (or the LPT port or infrared communication port) of both machines must be enabled.
- Cross cable, Inter link compliant (serial, parallel) must be used (this is not applied when the infrared communication port is used).
- This information is for Windows 98. Make sure Windows 98 is running on the destination computer.
- Log in to Windows when Windows 98 is executed.
B) Setting up the IR port
- The IR port is set to "Infrared communication has been disabled" at the factory default setting. If it is already set to "Enable," you do not need to perform the following operation.
1) Double-click the "Infrared" icon in [Control Panel] to open the [Infrared Monitor] window.
2) Click [Options] and check the "Enable infrared communication" box.
3) Click [OK] (or click [Apply] - [OK]).
C) Installing Direct Cable Connection
- Direct Cable Connection has not been installed yet when shipped.
1) In [Control Panel], double-click the "Add/Remove Programs" icon to open the [Add/Remove Programs Properties] window.
2) Click the [Windows Setup] tab. Wait a while for the computer to finish searching the installed components. Double-click the "Communications" icon on the Components list, or click the icon and click the [Details] button.
3) The [Communications] window appears. Check the [Direct Cable Connection] box and click [OK].
The Communications window is closed.
4) On the [Add/Remove Applications Properties] window, click [OK] (or [Apply]).
The computer starts copying the file and will be completed.
D) Starting Direct Cable Connection
- The following example is applied to the infrared connection (COM4).
1) Place two computers in the direction that the infrared communication ports of these computers are facing each other. Click [Start]->[Program]->[Accessories]->[Communications]->[Direct Cable Connection].
2) The [Direct Cable Connection] window opens. Select either [Host] or [Guest] for your computer, and click [Next].
- The following example is applied if you have selected [Host].
3) The [Location] window appears if this is the first time. Enter numbers in [Area Code].
The Create Driver Data Base progress indicator is displayed. Notebook computers can be used anywhere. You can enter your area code here. However, you may move to other locations that have other area codes. Input "000" or "666" which does not exist as an area code and click [OK].
4) Select the port to be used. Select [Serial Cable on COM4] from the list, and click [Next].
** Select the port to be used in this procedure.
Ex. Select the parallel cable on LPTx to use the parallel connection.
Ex. Select the serial cable on COMx to use the serial connection.
5) Set the file and printer sharing. Click [File and Print Sharing].
6) The Network window appears. Click the [File and Print Sharing] button on the [Configuration] tab.
7) Check the "I want to be able to give others access to my files" box on the File and Print Sharing dialog.
*You can find the "I want to be able to allow others to print to my printer(s)" option. You do not need to select the check box since it is not necessary.
8) Click [OK] on the Network window. The "Copying Files" progress indicator appears.
When the copying process is finished, the Change System Configuration dialog appears.
In this dialog, you will receive the message "You must restart your computer before the new settings will take effect. Do you want to restart your computer now?" Click [Yes].
Wait for a while until Windows is restarted.
9) When Windows is restarted, if you want to use the infrared connection, check if the infrared is enabled. Then, click [Start]->[Program]->[Accessories]->[Communications], and click [Direct Cable Connection]. Select [Guest] and [Host]. Set the port to use to COM4.
10) The Direct Cable Connection dialog appears. When the shared folder is already created, the window that contains the folder appears.
* Since the network system of Windows is used, if you did not log in at startup of Windows, you will be prompted to log in.