I would like to know how to import mail messages received/sent with Outlook Express Ver.4.0 to Outlook Express Ver.5.0.
1. Check the location where the message data is stored.
When you know the location storing the message data, proceed to the procedure 4.
When you do not know the location, proceed to the next procedure.
Click [Start]-[Find]-[Files or Folders] to open the "Find: All Files" window.
2. Type "*.mbx" in the "Named" box, specify a local hard drive in "Look in" and click the "Find Now" button.
3. When the computer has found files with the extension of "MBX" such as "Inbox.mbx", check the folder that contains those files.
4. - When the name of the folder you have checked is "MAIL", proceed to the procedure 8. (The characters of "MAIL" could be either capital letters or small letters.)
- When the folder has a name other than "MAIL", proceed to the next procedure.
5. Open "My Computer" or "Explorer" and create a temporary folder.
Let's suppose that a folder is created under the C drive in the name of "TEMP" just to continue our explanation.
6. In addition, create a folder named "MAIL" under the temporary folder "TEMP" created in the procedure 5.
"MAIL" could be either in capital letter or in small letter.
Now, the folder "C:/TEMP/MAIL" has been created.
7. Copy the files that contain the message data you want to import to the "MAIL" folder created in the procedure 6.
The folder you have checked in the procedure 3 includes pairs of files with the same name but with different extensions such
as "Inbox.idx" and "Inbox.mbx". Copy both files.
*You need to copy not only the "*.MBX" files but also the "*.IDX" files. Without the "*.IDX" files, you cannot import the messages.
8. Start Outlook Express Ver.5.0.
9. Click "Import"-"Messages" from the "File" menu.
10. When "Outlook Express Import Wizard" starts, select "Microsoft Outlook Express 4" and click the "Next" button.
11. You will be prompted to specify the location where the messages are stored.
Click the "Browse" button, specify the path of the messages and click the "Next" button.
*When you specify the path, specify a folder in one-step higher hierarchy than that of the "MAIL" folder instead of
specifying the "MAIL" folder directly. In this example (refer to the procedures 5-7), the message data is actually
stored in "C:/TEMP/MAIL". In this procedure 11, therefore, specify "C:/TEMP".
12. Specify the folder you want to import on the "Select Folder" window.
- When you want to import messages in all folders, click the option button of "All Folders" and then click the "Next" button.
- When you select a folder you want to import, click the folder you want to import on the list of folders and then click the "Next" button.
13. The messages will be imported. Click the "Finish" button to complete the import of the messages.