How to confirm the portable player is recognized by the computer as a Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) device?
Confirm the portable player is recognized by the computer as a Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) device.
To use the portable player with Windows Media® Player it must be recognized as a MTP device. Follow these steps to uninstall the driver and confirm the player is recognized properly.
IMPORTANT: This procedure must be performed while logged in as Administrator or to an account with Administrator rights.
- Click Start and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click Performance and Maintenance.
- In the Performance and Maintenance window, click System.
- In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.
- On the Hardware tab, under Device Manager, click the Device Manager button.
- In the Device Manager window, click the plus (+ ) sign in front of Disk drives.
- Click to select the Sony USB device.
- From the menu, click Action and then click Uninstall.
- In the Confirm Device Removal box, click OK.
- Disconnect the portable player from the computer.
- In the System Settings Change box, click Yes.
- Install the Microsoft Windows Media Player (version 11) software included on the supplied CD.
The portable player should now be recognized as a MTP device and can be used with the Microsoft Windows Media Player software.