Follow the steps to check the device status of an idle modem:
1. Click Start and the click Control Panel.
2. Refer to the following
* For Category View
Click Printers and Other Hardware and click Phone and Modem Options.
* For Classic View
Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
3. Click the Modem tab.
4. Select the modem and click Properties.
5. Under the General tab, the device status will be shown.
To further view the command response of the model:
6. Click the Diagnostic tab and click Query Modem.
7. The message Communication with Modem. This may take several seconds appears and the results of the modem status is displayed in the Command and Response fields.