This is due to the specifications of the operating system. When renaming to a new account name, only the welcome screen will display the new account name. However, the Documents and Settings folder name and the name in Task Manager remains unchanged.
To resolve this symptom, user can check for the account the new name belongs to with the steps below.
1. Log on using the account name.
2. Press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys simultaneously to start Task Manager.
3. Click Users. The account name with the status marked active, is the current logon user.
To change the name, please follow the steps below.
1. Click Start, point to Settings and click Control Panel.
2. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools and click Computer Management.
3. Click Local Users and Groups and click Users.
4. Right-click the account name and click Rename.
5. Type in the new name.
6. Start Task Manager again. The name is changed now.
For more information, please refer to the following solution in Microsoft's technical support website.
Article ID: Q283111
Last Reviewed: August 10, 2001
Title: Title: Logon Name Does not Match Name in Task Manager or Under Documents and Settings Folder