- To use this function, the volume to which files and folders are stored should be NTFS.
- Windows® XP Home Edition does not provide the function of encrypting files and folders.
Please refer to the steps below to encrypt files and folders:
1. Click Start.
2. Click All Programs - Accessories - Explorer.
3. Right-click the file or folder to be encrypted and click Properties.
4. Click the General tab.
5. Click Advanced.
6. Select the Encrypt contents to secure data option and click OK.
7. Click OK.
A. When a file is selected
The Encryption Warning dialog box appears.
- To encrypt the file only, select the Encrypt the file only option.
- To encrypt the file and the folder to which the file is saved, select the Encrypt the file and the parent folder option and click OK.
B. When a folder is selected
The Confirm Attribute Changes dialog box appears.
- To encrypt the folder only, select the Apply changes to this folder only option.
- To encrypt the folder and its contents, select the Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files option and click OK.
For more information, please refer to the following solution in Microsoft®'s technical support website.
Article ID: 307877
Title: HOW TO: Encrypt a file in Windows XP.
Last Reviewed: 27 October 2002
Article ID: 308989
Title: HOW TO: Encrypt a Folder in Windows XP.
Last Reviewed: 26 October 2002