Is there anyway to make the settings to share folders and hard disk drives with other computers on Windows 2000.?
Make the settings with the following procedures.
(As an example, we will make the settings to share a folder. The similar procedure will be applicable to the settings of sharing a hard disk drive.)
- In the case of Windows 2000 (To share a drive)
1) Click the [Start] button and then click [Programs]-[Accessories]-[Windows Explorer].
2) Display the drive you want to set sharing.
3) Right-click the icon of the drive and then click [Sharing].
4) When the [Sharing] tab in the dialog box of [(Drive Name) Properties] appears, click the option button of [Share this folder] and then click the [New Share] button.
5) When the dialog box of [New Share] appears, type any name you like in the text box of [Share Name], select a user limit in the [User Limit] box and click the [Permissions] button. For the user limit, refer to the followings.
Maximum Allowed: It allows the access of up to 10 users at the same time.
Allowed Users: It specifies the simultaneously accessible number of users in the range from 1 to 10 users.
6) Click the buttons of [Add] and [Remove] to select the users you allow to access the drive. Each time when you select the accessible user, select [Permissions] and click the [OK] button.
For the type of [Permissions], refer to the followings.
Full control: It allows the user to change the access privilege to the folder, and to modify, add and delete files and folders.
Change: It allows the user to modify, add and delete files and folders.
Read: It allows the user to open and copy the documents but does not allow the user to modify and delete them.
7) Click the [OK] button in the dialog box of [(Drive Name) Properties].
The drive to which [Sharing] has been set gets the "hand mark" as shown below.